Saturday, June 4, 2011

This red woollen parrot

She is making a parrot using a latch hook and some thick red wool. Except she doesn't know how and nor do I really. So I teach myself and we begin.

Both of our hands hold the wooden handled hook. We carefully slide it under the bridge, looping the wool over, and then back under the bridge with a slow turn, back over the bridge to collect the wool and then pull it through the loop. A complex process. But we do it, together, at a snails pace. And when Jenny finally tugs the loop tight a look of surprise and satisfaction transforms her face, in a small and beautiful way. And just for a moment I feel in my element. I understand what I am doing and why, and I relax in this slow and intimate latch hooking, this red woolen parrot.

No comments:

Post a Comment